Followers

Monday, December 31, 2012

A word about Buchanan...


A word about Buchanan:

The city of Buchanan has a rich history, and I have had the pleasure of getting a firsthand recounting of it from my much loved client, who has lived most of his ninety-three years here. This small town was once a bustling place, with several large industries, five major grocery stores and shopping opportunities that made it possible to never have to drive to Niles or South Bend.
That has changed; there are two small grocery stores and a hardware store, barber and beauty shops, a single chain drug store now that the last independent has been driven out by the rising cost of insurance and processing, a few nice eating establishments and a great coffee shop. Hardly the bustling city of past days, but still a nice place to be, and really, does anyone miss the several “houses of ill repute” that Bob told me used to thrive here?
We might not have big box shopping opportunities, but we do have a few treasures here. We have a great library, an amazing coffee house (The Union) which offers live music, Slocum’s (for that unique gift you won’t find at those box stores… which is a good thing) and of course the Buchanan Art Center. Yes, that’s right, an art center. Not only does it showcase regional artists (a very talented bunch!) but it offers classes for those wanting to develop a talent, and a great little gift shop featuring local artists.
I would be remiss if I didn’t put here a note about our police department. It’s possible my readers might assume from reading the Rainie Series that I don’t like the Buchanan cops. That simply isn’t true. Please remember, first of all, that these books are works of fiction, and the characters are figments of my imagination.
That being said, I have witnessed firsthand the part about small town cops being either the bullied or the bullies from school; I grew up in what was once a small town (although it seems to be sprawling and crowded now) and I knew several of the police officers from school. Yes, they were past bullies, or past bullied. This does not preclude them from being good officers, but it can make dealings with them difficult. Just ask the woman I knew from school who was hauled away in handcuffs after a domestic dispute with her halter top untied and falling to her waist. Yes, by her own admission she was being obnoxious: it was an emotionally charged scene. But did that give them the right to strip her of all dignity, to literally expose her?
As for the Buchanan police, unlike Rainie I have had few reasons to deal with them directly, but when I have, or when friends and family have (traffic stop, medical assistance) they have always been professional and competent. In fact, I did have to report a very scary incident that I feared would be laughed off; that was not the case. My concerns were taken very seriously, and the police department left me feeling protected and watched over in the days following. I won’t recount the details here, as the story will probably surface in a future Rainie book.
I would also like to point out that I have never heard of meth labs exploding in town or gunshots being fired in the business district. Again, remember that these books are works of fiction.
Just know, if you come to Buchanan, don’t expect the danger and excitement Rainie experiences to break out… but if it does, be assured our police department can handle it.
Want to know more? Go to www.cityofbuchanan.com
Come on over and see us some time!

                                                  

2 comments:

  1. The police will be happy you approve of their services. I know of your experiance with the cops and am very happy for all they have done for you and was very happy they were there. I owe them a big thank you and have always found them to be there when they are needed. I am glad we do not need them often but know they will be there when we need them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advertisement, I want to move there,I know a great writer here...

    ReplyDelete